Economic Development Officer - Bigstone Cree Nation Administration
Economic Development Officer – Permanent Full Time
Under the guiding principles of Bigstone Cree Nation Chief and Council Economic Development Vision and Mission, the Economic Development Officer will develop and implement business strategies and industry relations to maximize overall economic benefit; work in conjunction with managers, and Board of Directors of new and existing Nation owned Entities, Joint Ventures, and Partnerships to maintain viable business entities and establish competitive business enterprise initiatives. Provide administrative business support, referrals and business advisory and counseling services to the Nation’s Membership.
• Prepare strategic plans and carry out economic development initiatives to identify and promote new businesses and encourage the expansion of existing businesses;
• Identify resources to enhance the business operations within the Nation;
• Prepare, maintain, and present financial records and reports;
• Collect and analyze market research relating to: Nations Entities; prospective ventures; economic impacts; economic development best practices; and industry and business trends;
• Ensure that attainable sales goals are developed and achieved;
• Maintain productive, profitable and friendly business relationships with existing and potential clients;
• Network to acquire new clients;
• Maintain and develop knowledge of products, guidelines and regulations;
• Perform other duties as required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Commerce, Business Administration and/or Public Administration is required, along with 3 years directly related experience;
• Economic Development, Business Development or Entrepreneurship training would be an asset.
• Ability to effectively communicate both in oral and written form;
• Excellent interpersonal and public relations skills;
• Extensive knowledge and appreciation for Bigstone Cree Nation people, culture, language, history, values, traditions, and extended family relationships;
• Maintain high degree of confidentiality;
• Valid Alberta Driver’s Operator license, and reliable transportation;
• Ability to understand and speak Cree is an asset;
• Must be bondable – a criminal record check is required;
Submit cover letter, resume and criminal record check to:
Tammy Bigstone – Human Resources
Lot 85 Duran Trail/ Box 960
Wabasca, AB. T0G 2K0
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been found.
Thank-you in advance to all applicants. Only applicants that meet the criteria will be contacted for an interview.
Economic Development Officer - Siska Indian Band
Under the general direction of the Band Administrator, the Economic Development Officer is responsible for promoting economic development projects within the Siska Indian Band. The incumbents’ main responsibility will be the administration and management of Siska Indian bands non-profit entity Siska Traditions Including but not limited to creating relationships with partnering agencies and other levels of government, and implementing Council policy directions related to economic development projects and opportunities
Be responsible for providing accurate development and economic development related information to the general public and developers
Take ownership of managing economic development initiatives, sales and community promotion campaigns
Take responsibility for the preparation of materials for presentation to Siska Indian Band Council and attend meetings as a Siska Indian Band representative
Develop advertising campaigns based on best management practices and Council policy direction
Create multi-media products and content (posters, maps, booklets, images, video) to support and enhance Siska Traditions projects, advertising and website
Take responsibility to coordinate tradeshow attendance, including travel and logistics to get material to tradeshows and staffing Tradeshow booths
Work with patterning agencies to facilitate economic development initiatives in the region
Seek grant opportunities for local initiatives related to economic development including planning, educational\cultural programs or displays, and research
Monitor and improve economic development procedures on an ongoing basis
Performs other related duties as directed
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform the duties listed above to a high degree of quality, timeliness, and precision.
Preference will be given to candidates with a post-secondary degree in urban planning, business, marketing or economic development discipline.
Knowledge of economic development methodologies
Ability to effectively communicate both in oral and written form
Excellent interpersonal and public relations skills
Ability to provide a clean criminal record check
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: Temporary Full Time.
HOURS OF WORK: M-F 8:30AM -4:30PM
STARTING HOURLY WAGE: $21.00 hour + full benefits
COMPETITION CLOSE DATE: Open until suitable candidate is found
Please submit resume and cover letter, in confidence to:
Merika Sam – Siska Band Administrator
PO Box 519
Lytton, BC V0K1Z0
Preference will be given to those of Aboriginal Ancestry – Section 16 (1) Canadian Human Rights Act