National Youth Panel
The National Youth Panel will be brought forth in an effort to showcase Indigenous youth. Each year Cando selects six Indigenous youth participants to form the National Youth Panel, a signature event at the Annual National Conference. The selections for the National Youth Panel are based on their strengths, initiatives, accomplishments, entrepreneurial spirit, and participation within their communities.
- Must have not been part of the youth panel before
- Must be between 18-30 years of age
- Must be of Indigenous descent (Inuit, Métis, First Nation)
Selected Youth Panelists will Enjoy:
- Recognition for their achievements during the Conference, on Cando's website and in Cando's Connect Magazine
- Paid-for by Cando trip to Enoch, Alberta & complimentary accommodations at the conference hotel
- Complimentary Conference Registration
- Networking with Indigenous leaders and peers
Deadline for nominations - June 30, 2018
Congratulations to last year's National Youth Panelists!
- Jacquelyn Cardinal, AB, Sucker Creek Cree First Nation, AB
Special skills will play a valuable role in community service
- Jacob Crane, AB, Tsuut’ina Nation, AB
Leading the change for economic growth
- Dustin Ross Fiddler, SK, Waterhen Lake First Nation, SK
Youngest band councillor want to help guide 'new generation'
- Melissa Lunney, NB, Elsipogtoq First Nation, NB
Late grandmother's widom guides woman in her endeavours
- Keshia Moffat, NB, Eel River Bar First Nation, NB
Using skills to help the next seven generations
- Teagyn Vallevand, YT, Kwanlin Dun First Nation, YK
Addressing lateral violence important for youth
The youth panel was founded in 2004 as there was a need to recognize and honor young Indigenous leaders from across Canada. Once again their voices will be heard, their achievements will be shared and their challenges will be revealed! Each year Cando selects six Indigenous youth participants from numerous nominations. The Cando Board, Conference Committee and Cando Staff thoughtfully select the youth based upon their strengths, initiatives, accomplishments, entrepreneurial spirit of launching their careers, and participation within their communities.
Each year, the National Youth Panel is held as an event at the Cando Annual National Conference & AGM. Cando believes it is imperative to recognize and honor leaders, particularly Indigenous youth from across Canada. One of the many highlights at the Cando conference is our National Youth Panel. Over the years, Cando has continually realized featuring a youth panel is essential and hosting this event has allowed Indigenous youth who are pursuing their dreams to speak their ways of success at our conference.
Previous youth panelists have been involved in employment and entrepreneurial ventures such as: a sports wear company; fresh water bottling and catering businesses, a Vice President of an Internet company, an artist and writer who owns a comic book publishing company, an Outfitting company, Outdoor garden center craft store owner, Outdoor Adventure Company, Fashion Designer, First Nations Snowboarding Team Coordinator and Aboriginal Diabetes Outreach Program worker to name a few.